ASU Online Doctor of Behavioral Health Review
- Online PsyD in Behavioral Health Leadership, or Online PhD in Psychology
- Online PsyD & PhD, Masters, Bachelors in Psychology, Counseling, Therapy, Social Work
Arizona State University offers ASU Online, which features many online graduate degrees, such as the Doctor of Behavioral Health program that is well ranked in national surveys. It features a clinical concentration that is made to train the professional with a master’s degree in the field work in an effective manner in an integrated primary care marketplace. This doctoral degree and concentration has additional clinical coursework and also a 400 hour clinical hour internship.
The innovative program features multiple ways online learners can engage
The doctoral curriculum includes online courses that feature live or synchronous chat with students and instructors. There also is innovative internship training that has live streaming video consulting with behavioral health experts. The program further features a culminating research project that features a business plan that is tailored to your career goals.
Youtube Special Feature
Innovative curriculum center on healthcare interventions and management for behavioral health programs
The core classes are founded on three areas that will serve student needs well in the working world in behavioral health:
- Medical literacy so that disease pathophysiology can be understood, as well as progression and treatment
- Multiple, integrated behavioral interventions based upon efficiency to engage and treat patients in a primary care center or another type of medical setting
- Entrepreneurship workshops that help the doctoral student to leverage their skill set to meet demands of the 21st century market in health care.
College has ample resources and scholars working on cutting-edge behavioral health research
The College of Health Solutions, students and faculty are studying solutions to difficult health challenges as they are prepping the health workforce for future decades.
In fall 2016, the College of Health Solutions featured 245 Barrett Honors scholars, 146 faculty, 5800 students and $9 million dedicated to research. It also had many embedded partnerships in the area to provide students with many resources and opportunities to network: Mayo Clinic, Barrow Neurological Institute, Dignity Health, HonorHealth and Health Care Sector Partnership.
Tuition is the same per semester for in state and out of state residents
The full time tuition and fees for the academic year is $19,594 for both in state and out of state residents. This fact makes it easier for out of state residents to attend as it is not more costly for them.
Reasonable application standards for the doctoral program
Standards for admission are as follows:
- Official graduate school transcript
- Personal statement
- Applicant license in behavioral health
- One professional recommendation letter
- Update resume
- Web interview may be required
Least Favorite Features
Some students say the degree is not a psychology degree, and this could be problematic
The question by some psychology students is whether the degree will be fully recognized by employers as a doctoral degree, and there is the same question regarding professional associations. Other students note that the program is not affiliated with the ASU psychology department, so there are questions about how much value the degree will have in some employers’ eyes.
The program is not accredited by a major accrediting agency in the field
The website states that all programs at ASU Online are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, but this doctoral program is not individually accredited. Again, this could cause some employers and authorities to question the degree’s value.
- 36,000 students enrolled in ASU Online
- Application deadline: Rolling
- Application fee: $50
- School type: Public
- Term Schedule: Semester
- Location: Tempe, AZ
- Student-faculty ratio: 12:1
- $19,594 per semester
- Doctorate in Behavioral Health – online
- 52% female, 48% male
- MBA average age 27-37
- 76% overall acceptance rate at the university
Graduation and Retention Rates
- Retention rate overall at ASU is 87%
- Acceptance rate for bachelor’s program is 84%
- Graduation rate for bachelor’s programs is 63%
- #1 in the US for innovation – US News and World Report
- Top 1% of world’s most prestigious universities – Times Higher Education
- Top 100 universities in the world for research and teaching – Times Higher Education
- Best Bang For Buck for Tuition – Princeton Review
- Recognized as the most innovative school in the country by US News and World Report
- Doctoral Degree in Behavioral Health. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs/graduate/doctor-behavioral-health-clinical
- ASU Online Overview. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://asuonline.asu.edu/