Salary Outlook for Healthcare Social Workers
A healthcare social worker helps people access vital services and education related to health problems. The goal of these social work professionals is to help clients obtain the best possible health so they can function better in their lives.
Healthcare social workers usually help people do things such as find quality medical care, pay for medical care, and recover from an injury or illness. This work can involve providing advice, being a patient advocate, or referring patients to programs or healthcare facilities.
These social workers also coordinate services, including:
- Home healthcare
- Transportation for doctor visits
- Medical equipment rentals
They also help clients gain admission to healthcare services, find funding sources, complete paperwork, and locate support for families. They may help educate patients on childcare, dementia, living with HIV or cancer, and more.
If you want to be a healthcare social worker, it is vital to understand the salary potential before you get your social work degree. This page has detailed salary information for healthcare workers to make the best choice for your future career.
Salary Outlook for Healthcare Social Workers
Several websites give detailed salary information for healthcare social workers. They are listed below.
Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median salary for all social workers is $50,470, with the top 10% earning more than $82,000 per year. Also, it indicates that healthcare social workers earn a median salary of $56,750.
BLS also reports that these industries pay the most in the field:
- Local government: $55,500
- Ambulatory healthcare services: $51,290
- State government: $49,100
- Individual and family services: $43,000
BLS also provides the following annual mean wage data for healthcare social workers by industry:
- General medical and surgical hospitals: $65,980
- Individual and family services: $52,460
- Home healthcare services: $61,900
- Nursing care facilities: $55,630
- Outpatient care centers: $61,420
- Other ambulatory healthcare services: $65,080
- Grantmaking and giving services: $57,660
States with the highest annual mean wages for healthcare social workers are:
- California: $79,600
- Washington DC: $74,160
- Oregon: $74,000
- Connecticut: $72,980
- Nevada: $72,640
Payscale.com reports that medical social workers earn an average salary of $54,396, with a range between $43,000 and $73,000.
Some of the reported salaries for medical social workers are:
- Davita, Inc.: $61,000
- Kaiser Permanente: $95,000
- Kindred Healthcare: $57,000
- Fresenius Medical Care North America: $56,000
- Gentiva Health Services, Inc.: $55,000
- Heartland Hospice: $55,000
Healthcare social workers generally earn more with more experience:
- Less than one year: $48,580
- One to four years: $51,270
- Five to nine years: $55,600
- 10 to 19 years: $60,375
- More than 20 years: $62,500
Salaries in this field also vary by location above or below the average salary of $54,396:
- New York City: +19%
- Seattle: +19%
- Houston: +10%
- Chicago: -1%
- Dallas: -2%
- Atlanta: -5%
- Indianapolis: -10%
This website reports the national average salary for medical social workers is $70,560, with a range between $30,500 and $113,000. It also states that most salaries range between $52,000 and $85,000.
Salary.com reports the average salary for medical social workers is $64,194, with a range between $57,822 and $69,942.
This site reports the national salary range for healthcare social workers is $32,000 to $48,000. The website also notes the highest salaries in these states:
- Washington DC: $66,200
- Nevada: $63,700
- Connecticut: $61,200
- Maryland: $58,500
- California: $57,800
- Hawaii: $57,700
- Rhode Island: $56,200
Healthcare Social Worker Job Outlook
BLS reports jobs for social workers will rise by 11% by 2028, which is much faster than average. Rising demand for healthcare and social services will increase demand for all social workers.
Employment for healthcare social workers will rise by 17% by 2028, much faster than average. These social workers are needed to assist older populations, and their loved ones adjust to new healthcare treatments, lifestyles, and medications.
The salary and job outlook for healthcare social workers are healthy, so getting your social work degree could be a real benefit for your future career. For the best salaries, the data shows that states like Connecticut, Nevada, Rhode Island, California, and Oregon offer the highest wages.
- Salary Data for Healthcare Social Workers. Accessed at https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes211022.htm
- Social Worker Salaries. Accessed at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/social-workers.htm#tab-5
- Medical Social Worker Salaries. Accessed at https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Medical_Social_Worker/Salary
- Medical Social Worker Salary. Accessed at https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Medical-Social-Worker-Salary
- Medical Social Worker Salary. Accessed at https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/medical-social-worker-msw-salary
- Healthcare Social Worker Salary. Accessed at https://www.recruiter.com/salaries/healthcare-social-workers-salary/
- Social Worker Job Outlook. Accessed at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/social-workers.htm#tab-6