New York Clinical Psychologist Salary Outlook
- Online PsyD in Behavioral Health Leadership, or Online PhD in Psychology
- Online PsyD & PhD, Masters, Bachelors in Psychology, Counseling, Therapy, Social Work
According to the most recent available federal data, nearly 1 in 5 American adults has a mental illness, but only about 15% of them have received treatment or other mental health services for their illness in the past year.
Lack of treatment of mental illness is a serious problem in the United States and in New York, where only about 14% of adults avail themselves of mental health services. Making progress against the scourge of mental illness are licensed clinical psychologists, whether they’re working in healthcare settings, the military or even within corporations.
What is the state of the job market here in New York for clinical psychologists? How much can they expect to earn here in our state, where in New York are salaries the highest, and what are some examples of companies or organizations that have posted job openings for clinical psychologists?
What’s On This Page
- How Much Do Clinical Psychologists Make in New York?
- Who’s Hiring for Clinical Psychologists in New York?
- Which New York Cities Are Best for Clinical Psychologists?
How Much Do Clinical Psychologists Make in New York?
Clinical psychologists earn a median annual salary in the U.S. of just under $77,000, but in New York, that figure is considerably higher — and New York’s wage is the fourth-highest for clinical psychologists in the country.
Median annual clinical psychologist wage
|District of Columbia||$84,780|
Not only does New York boast one of the nation’s highest salaries for clinical psychologists, the job is far better paying than the overall state median for all jobs, and it’s among the highest-paying of many common occupations.
Median annual New York wage, select occupations
|Agents and Business Managers||$77,740|
|Clinical, Counseling, and School Psychologists||$88,710|
|Computer Systems Analysts||$96,810|
|Gas Plant Operators||$81,830|
|Home Health Aides||$24,920|
|Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers||$23,570|
|Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners||$28,990|
|Word Processors and Typists||$42,700|
New York already has an attractive typical salary for clinical psychologists, and the state is expected to add thousands of job openings over the next several years.
States by projected long-term growth rate for clinical psychologist job openings, top 15
Note: Long-term growth rate refers to projected increase in job openings between 2016 and 2026.
Which New York Cities Are Best for Clinical Psychologists?
As you might expect, the New York City area has the highest median wage among cities across the state, though several other areas also have relatively high salaries.
New York cities and metro areas by median annual clinical psychologist wage
|New York-Newark-Jersey City||$92,380|
Among the 300+ largest cities and metro areas in the U.S., each of the 10 with the highest median wages are in California, and most of the top 20 are in that state as well. But the New York City metro area has the seventh-highest highest non-California median annual wage figures for clinical psychologists.
U.S. cities/metro areas by clinical psychologist employment per 1,000 jobs, top 20, excl. California
|Baton Rouge, LA||$107,370|
|Davenport-Moline-Rock Island, IA-IL||$97,820|
|Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT||$94,000|
|Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA||$93,360|
|New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA||$92,380|
|Grand Junction, CO||$91,020|
|Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI||$88,920|
|Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA||$88,140|
|Fort Collins, CO||$87,110|
Who’s Hiring for Clinical Psychologists in New York?
Clinical psychology jobs are most prevalent in medical or healthcare settings, certainly, but there are tons of other options for people who would prefer to focus on different populations. Jobs are plentiful in New York in the public and private sectors and in a huge range of specializations.
Here are a few examples of companies and organizations that had recently posted openings for clinical psychologists across New York state:
- New York Psychotherapy and Counseling Center
- Child Mind Institute
- New York Police Department
- New York University
- Mount Sinai Health System
- City of New York
- State of New York
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- S. Navy
- Columbia University
- Office for People With Developmental Disabilities
- City College of New York Counseling Center
- S. Department of Justice
- The Kelberman Center
- Astor Services for Children & Families
- Villa of Hope
- Lifestance Health
- Clear Choice Medical Group
New York remains an attractive place for professionals of almost any field to seek employment. That’s true for clinical psychologists as well, thanks to high wages, plentiful job openings and diversity in employment settings, both in New York City and across the entire state.
- Information on clinical psychologist job openings in New York was gathered from listings posted in July 2019 on Indeed.com and Glassdoor.com
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2016-2017 NSDUH State Prevalence Estimates. (Undated). Retrieved from https://www.samhsa.gov/data/report/2016-2017-nsduh-state-prevalence-estimates
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Psychologists. (2019). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm#tab-5
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics Query System. (2019). Accessed from https://data.bls.gov/oes/#/home
- Projections Managing Partnership, Projections Central, Long Term Occupational Projections. (Undated). Accessed from https://projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
- Average Clinical Psychologist Salary by State. (2019). Retrieved from https://psydprograms.org/average-clinical-psychologist-salary-by-state/
- How Much Do Clinical Psychologists Make? (2019). Retrieved from https://psydprograms.org/how-much-do-clinical-psychologists-make/