Top 5 Online PsyD in Clinical Psychology Programs
Students and professionals who want to work as a clinical psychologist can earn their Psy.D. degree. This is a more clinical practice-focused degree than the alternative Ph.D. A Psy.D. is similar to the Ph.D., but its courses tend to be more related to psychotherapy and methods of helping patients to overcome their mental health problems.
Technology has advanced in recent years, so now it is possible for students to earn their Psy.D. in clinical psychology online. There are quality online PsyD programs available where you can earn your doctorate in clinical psychology in approximately four years.
Choosing to earn this advanced degree is often a good idea from a psychology career and salary perspective. The Bureau of Labor Statistics states the median salary for all psychologists in 2017 was $77,000. (BLS.gov). But psychologists with a PsyD degree with higher levels of experience can earn a salary in excess of $124,000 per year. Other salary information for psychologists reported by the Bureau are:
- All other psychologists: $97,700
- Industrial organizational psychologists: $87,100
- Clinical, counseling and school psychologists: $75,000
The data indicates that getting your doctoral degree in psychology may be a strong move in terms of salary. Now let us take a look at some of the best online Psy.D. programs in clinical psychology:
#1 Capella University
Capella University offers a Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology that will greatly enhance your knowledge of human beings and human behavior. As you earn this four year, accredited degree, you will be prepared to obtain state licensure as a clinical psychologist. You will learn about advanced mental disorders, clinical training and psychotherapy. No GRE Required!
Important features of this program include:
- Prepare for your state licensure. The program has a licensure team that will support you and give you access to expertise during licensure.
- State approved and designed by experts. The curriculum has been professionally aligned around guidelines from APA.
- Experienced team offers expert support. You have available to you licensure experts, advisors, teaching assistants that will keep you on path towards graduation.
Required courses include the following:
- History and Systems of Psychology
- Lifespan Development
- Advanced Biological Psychology
- Cognitive and Affective Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Multicultural Perspectives in Human Behavior
- Advanced Research Methods and Statistics for Professional Psychology
- Advanced Research Design and Methodology for Professional Psychology
#2 Meridian University
Meridian University offers both an online and onsite Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology that can be completed in three or four years, depending upon your prerequisites. The curriculum includes several core, clinical and research courses. The core, which is stressed in the first two years, offers a foundation for the research and clinical courses, which supports the student’s relationship to clinical professional practice. This program has been designed to meet all of the educational requirements to become a clinical psychologist in the state. (MeridianUniversity.com).
Learning outcomes of this program are:
- To hone your leadership capacities which will provide you with further professional engagement in the psychology profession.
- To better develop your creative inquiry skills and practices.
- To apply key concepts and to articulate major principles of psychopathology to all levels of human systems.
- To implement proper uses of psychological assessment resources with a specialized awareness of individual differences and cultural diversity.
Required courses include:
- Research Methods
- Integrative Seminar
- Psychotherapy Integration
- States and Stages
- Principles of Psychopharmacology
- Culture and the Law
- Integral Theories of Consciousness and Development
- Intersubjectivity and Attachment
Required for admission are the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- Students with a master’s in psychology can apply for advanced standing status
#3 CalSouthern University
CalSouthern University offers a Psy.D. program in clinical psychology that attracts students from across the country due to its quality and the fact that it is online. This is an innovative doctoral degree program that combines a strong collection of foundational psychology courses and a variety of exciting electives that stresses the service perspective of a professional clinical degree. (CalSouthern.edu).
This Psy.D. program culminates in a doctoral project instead of a dissertation that is both rigorous and challenging. Students often find it is one of the most rewarding academic efforts they experience in their lives. This project can include a community based research project in your area, an analysis of literature in a psychology specialty, or can focus on another topic about which you are most passionate.
Required courses in this four year, online doctoral program include:
- Advanced Theories of Personality
- History and Systems of Psychology
- Ethical and Professional Issues
- Advanced Psychopathology
- Cultural Diversity
- Cognition, Emotion and Motivation
- Statistical Methods and Analysis
- Physiological Psychology
- Research Methods in Psychology
To be considered for admission to CalSouthern University, you will need to submit the following:
- All transcripts from your previous universities.
- Have a master’s degree in psychology.
- Updated resume
#4 University of the Cumberlands
The University of the Cumberlands offers a four year, Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology that is partially online. Students will be prepared for the general, integrative practice of clinical and health service psychology with diverse and underserved populations. The program has been designed to prepare students from underserved populations to become clinical psychologists who reinvest in the community by serving as healthcare leaders. (UniversityoftheCumberlands.edu).
This program consists of 73 credit hours that are completed face to face on weekends, and 16 credit hours done online, and five more credit hours offered in an online, full semester format.
Required courses are:
- Cognitive and Behavioral Approaches to Treatment
- Practicum in Psychotherapy I and II
- Practicum in Assessment I and II
- Advanced Practicum
- Psychodynamic Approaches to Treatment
- Supervision, Management and Consultation
Requirements for admission are:
- Writing samples
- Professional recommendations
- All transcripts from previous universities
- Completed Psy.D. supplemental questions
#5 Alaska Pacific University
Alaska Pacific University offers a Psy.D. in clinical and general psychology that prepares culturally competent psychologists who through practice, will help to reduce suffering and empower groups, individuals and communities towards better health and healing. (AlaskaPacificUniversity.com).
This program prides itself as a comprehensive and unique training model that is designed for the distinctive needs of mid-career psychology professionals in the state of Alaska.
The courses are designed to meet all academic and licensing requirements for psychologists in this state. The curriculum follows requirements that are detailed in the 2015 APA Commission on Accreditation Standards of Accreditation of Programs for Health Service Psychology.
Requirements for admission are:
- Official transcripts
- Statement of interest
- Personal essay
- Letters of recommendation
- GPA from previous college work
*Indicates school is a Featured Partner. Click here for disclosure on Featured Partners.
- Psychologists Salary. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm
- PsyD Program (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.calsouthern.edu/online-psychology-degrees/psy-d-program-doctor-psychology-degree
- PsyD in Clinical Psychology. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/psyd-clinical-psychology/
- PsyD Clinical Psychology. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/graduate/programs/psyd-clinical-psychology/degree
- Psy.D. in Psychology. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.alaskapacific.edu/admissions/admissions-requirements/
- Online No GRE Psychology PhD Programs. (n.d.). Retrieved https://psydprograms.org/no-gre-online-psychology-phd-programs/